CUGL (Central UP Gas Limited), a joint venture between India’s two Maharatna companies, GAIL (India) Limited and Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited came into existence on 25th February, 2005. CUGL was constituted for developing City Gas Distribution project in Kanpur. Kanpur (Manchester of East) was also known as CWANPORE at the time of British India. This is famous industrial hub of North India.
- CUGL started commercial sale in Kanpur on 7th April 2006.
- CUGL had received authorization to start City Gas Distribution project in Bareilly in 2007 ans started commercial sale in same year.
- CUGL has received authorization to start City Gas Distribution Project in Unnao District also.
- CUGL also awaiting authorization from PNGRB for the City of Jhansi.
- CUGL has started commercial sale in all the four segments of CGD, i.e. Transport, Domestic, Commercial & Industrial both in Kanpur & Bareilly.
- Presently more than 15000 vehicles are running on CNG on the roads of Kanpur & Bareilly.
- CUGL is fulfilling the fuel requirements of more than 600 domestic houses in both the cities by supplying Piped Natural Gas (PNG).
- CUGL is catering the demand of 10 commercial establishments and 12 industries presently and is in process of adding much more numbers in near future.
- CUGL is the first CGD entity in India to start PNG in India’s prestigious technical institute IIT Kanpur.