It is a mixture of light hydrocarbon in gaseous form. Contains 80-95% methane, and remaining are other higher hydrocarbon, carbon dioxides, nitrogen etc. which is used as a heating fuel (Piped Natural Gas known as PNG) and motor fuel (Compressed Natural Gas known as CNG).
- It is lighter than air and will dissipate into atmosphere.
- It is a colourless and originally odourless and is for safety precautions added scent (Ethyl Mercaptan) to detect leaks.
- Its flammable limit in air (% by volume) is from 5 – 15 %. Natural gas without sufficient air or with too much air will not burn or explode.
- It is easily ignitable by spark or flame. Its auto ignition temperature is 540 Degree C.
- It is a Combustible gas = combustible when mixed with air
- It is the cleanest of the fossil fuels and very safe environment friendly energy source.